[ntp:questions] Local time sources

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Mon May 10 10:44:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 09:33:46PM -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Not three but four!  If you have only three servers configured and
> one fails you have the worst possible configuration.  Is it not
> written that a man with two clocks can never be certain what time it
> is?

And to make him even less certain, give him a third clock! :)

I think in NTP world the saying is just confusing. If you care about
having accurate time, having two sources is actually better than one.
If they don't agree, you know something is wrong (ntpd will report
unsynchronized status) and you can do something about it. With only
one source you never know.

--
Miroslav Lichvar