[ntp:questions] local vs Windows Server 2003

Adrian Marsh adrian.marsh at somwherelike.ubiquisys.com
Wed May 12 16:48:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have an Active Directory environment supporting several Windows and
Linux based PCs.

The main windows server is set to clock from time.nist.gov, and I'm
fighting to get the linux clients to sync from my internal server.
Windows clients seem ok (I know thats done via AD).

This was all working last week, except one client who insisted that the
offset was off by about 300 seconds. That machine was so bad we've been
in touch with Dell to look at the hardware.

However today, the main server needed a reboot, and since then I can't
get any of the linux clients to agree to sync to the main server (no *
against the peers listing).

eg:

  jitter
*LOCAL(0)        .LOCL.          10 l   23   64  377    0.000   0.000
0.001
  ubiq-serv1.ubiq 192.43.244.18    2 u   23  128  377    0.180  -3.716
  6.556

The config is:

server 127.127.1.0
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

server ntp.ubiquisys.local
restrict ntp.ubiquisys.local mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

ntp is a DNS cname to ubiq-serv1, and i've tried it with the direct name.

It seems to be preferring LOCAL over a clock source.

I ran a test NTP client off my PC to the server, and it seems to say
that all is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks

adrian