[ntp:questions] XFAC (?)

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed May 12 05:44:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:20 UTC, Laurent Archambault wrote:
> After many search, i has not find my answer, whay do it mean the status
> "XFAC" (?).

ntpd resets associations when the local network interface (or, really,
IP address) being used for that peer goes away.  This means the clock
filter register of 8 samples is cleared, as are all other timekeeping
stats related to the peer.  At that time, the "reference ID" or refid
is changed to XFAC to indicate the cause of the cleared (reset)
association.  Typically, that XFAC refid is replaced on receipt of the
next packet from the server or peer.

Since you ask what it means without telling us what problem you are
having, I'm left supposing you are asking because it is not
short-lived in your case.  You may be able to work around the problem
by adding -U0 to the ntpd command line so that local network
interfaces (IP addresses) are enumerated by ntpd only once at startup.

Cheers,
Dave Hart