[ntp:questions] local vs Windows Server 2003

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Fri May 14 06:31:50 UTC 2010

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> David Lord wrote:
>> I think I found about 20 uk servers in the list here
>
> For more recent NTP versions:
>
>  pool uk.pool.ntp.org
>
>   or
>
>  pool 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
>  pool 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
>  pool 2.uk.pool.ntp.org
>  pool 3.uk.pool.ntp.org
>

> For older NTP versions:
>
>  server uk.pool.ntp.org
>
>   or
>
>  server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
>  server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
>  server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org
>  server 3.uk.pool.ntp.org

Yes above would be OK for the OP but not for my use as it's
recommended that pool are not used as above when your own
hosts are pool servers.

Using ntptrace also allows you to select closest and assists
in avoiding sources with same refids (ok those can/do change).
If the ISP has their own ntp server that is also likely to be
a good choice.

David