[ntp:questions] Network latency questions

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Thu May 27 13:13:50 UTC 2010

In article <201005271035.46352.fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk>,
 Frans Grotepass <fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for abusing my membership to this forum for this question.
>
> We are busy with building an embedded application that must retrieve data
> very fast.

Please define "very fast" in numbers.  For example, 95% of responses must be
fully received within 1,000 microseconds, and 100% within 10 milliseconds, or
the planet will explode.

What does the embedded application do?

>  The choice is to either have the data locally or go to a central
> server(pool) that contains the data.

Well, locally is always faster and more predictable than remotely, so why even
consider remotely?

> In evaluating the network option, I thought that the people here could
> possibly help me with the expected network latency for a Gb network via a
> switch. My gut feeling says that with increased load, the switch will bundle
> the traffic to the different nodes more and this will result in higher
> latency.

Big switches can have transit latencies of a few tens of microseconds, but there
is far more to it than that.  And if there is a choke point somewhere, the
observed latencey will vary wildly depending on perhaps unrelated traffic and
commands and resulting data travel, the more vulnerable one is to these effects.

Joe Gwinn