[ntp:questions] Network latency questions

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 18:41:13 UTC 2010

Frans Grotepass wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for abusing my membership to this forum for this question.
>
> We are busy with building an embedded application that must retrieve data very
> fast. The choice is to either have the data locally or go to a central
> server(pool) that contains the data.
>
> In evaluating the network option, I thought that the people here could
> possibly help me with the expected network latency for a Gb network via a
> switch. My gut feeling says that with increased load, the switch will bundle
> the traffic to the different nodes more and this will result in higher latency.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frans Grotepass

The only answer you are likely to get is "It depends!"  Latency depends
on the network hardware, network topology, and on network loading.

If it's sufficiently important, you could probably conduct some
experiments to determine at least the minimum latency.  You could also
measure your cable runs and calculate latency using the rule of thumb
"one nanosecond per foot".  "ping" may give you a very rough
measurement; it measures the round trip which includes the delay in the
server responding to the ping.