[ntp:questions] what happens when sys.peer turns stratum 16?

bombjack bombjack99 at gmail.com
Sun May 30 16:27:39 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am fairly new to the ntp arena, but have to learn fast as part of my
work is trying to fix ntp problems. Lately I had a customer that
complained that there servers went bananas due to time being wrong.
(The customer claims that ntp had changed the time 20 years ahead).
Looking at some wire shark logs it seems that sys.peer for some reason
had turned into a stratum 16 server (i.e. unsynched) and had "leap"
set to 3 -"Alarm condition (clock not synchronized"

the setup: klient syncs to 2 servers, one stratum 1 (sys.peer) and one
stratum 2 server. If sys.peer all of a sudden says it's a stratum 16
server, how does ntp react to this? instant outvote of the sys.peer?
or are these packets filtered for some time as being errornous? or
anything else?

I have told the customer to use more than two servers, but they insist
that they want answers to the above scenario.

Any help welcome

//Fredrik