[ntp:questions] Local clock - sync issue

Thu Nov 4 00:46:09 UTC 2010

Stephen Vaughan wrote:
> I'm not sure why we have it in there, as you say it might
>  have been part of the default config in Redhat's EL ntp
>  package. And yep, I don't understand why it's reverting
>  to the LOCAL clock and then just deciding to stick with
>  it until we restart ntp.
>
>> server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
>> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>>
>> ntpq -p output:
>>
>>    remote  refid st t when poll reach  delay  offset  jitter
>>  hostname .INIT. 16 u    - 1024    0   0.000  0.000   0.000
>>  hostname .INIT. 16 u    - 1024    0   0.000  0.000   0.000
>>  hostname .INIT. 16 u    - 1024    0   0.000  0.000   0.000
>>  hostname .INIT. 16 u    - 1024    0   0.000  0.000   0.000
>> *LOCAL(0) .LOCL. 10 l    9   64  377   0.000  0.000   0.001

Reach = 0, not getting responses from "hostname" servers?

Poll = 1024, it will try again in 17 minutes?

>> The issue with this is that once it defaults to the LOCAL, it doesn't
>> sync with an external source again, until we manually restart
>> ntpd. I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm hoping someone can
>> assist.

What else does your NTP Conf contain?  What version of NTP?  Which OS?

My guess would be that NTP is not seeing any answers
 from the "hostname" servers.

 Is DNS up when NTPd starts?

  {I think I recall two or three people who said they had
    a issue on boot; due to dynamic IPs?  ... and DNS not
    resolving the host names for far too long after NTP
    was started?}

 Do you see the NTP query packets going out?

 Do you see NTP response packets coming back?

If restarting NTP solves the issue the following
 are unlikely to be a cause of the issue:

 Perhaps NTP conf restrict issues?
  What version of NTP?  (restrict source nomodify ?)

 Are the "hostname" servers on your LAN? internet?
  Access policies? / Firewall?

 Something else has port 123 open already?

  will be added to the BlackLists.