[ntp:questions] OS users (was: Re: What level of timesynch error is typical onWinXP?)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Nov 4 07:34:40 UTC 2010

"David Woolley" <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote in message
news:iasmhg$52k$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
[]
> As to Linux, I would guess most users of ntpd are using Linux.

Any figures to back that up?  Within my community of several hundred
users, almost all are Windows, but behind firewalls and not visible to
outside surveys.  You may be underestimating the appreciation the Windows
community has for NTP.  A pity in a way that there nothing like the
User-Agent field in the NTP packet to that servers knew what OS the client
was using (or is there?).

[Of course, if you are referring specifically to a UNIX-like
implementation, you are most likely correct]

Cheers,
David