[ntp:questions] OS users

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Nov 5 07:18:11 UTC 2010

"E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists"
<Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote in message
news:iav1nt$re5$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> "David Woolley" wrote:
>>> As to Linux, I would guess most users of ntpd are using Linux.
>>
>> Any figures to back that up?  Within my community of
>>  several hundred users, almost all are Windows, but behind
>>  firewalls and not visible to outside surveys.  You may be
>>  underestimating the appreciation the Windows community has
>>  for NTP.  A pity in a way that there nothing like the
>>  User-Agent field in the NTP packet to that servers knew
>>  what OS the client was using (or is there?).
>
> ntpq> rv
> ..., processor="x86", system="Windows", ...

Yes, of course.  But that's a server actively querying a client (and
perhaps the client doesn't allow this).  It's not the same as a server
knowing passively what its client is running.

It might be an interesting project to see what one gets back from clients
and servers, though.  Most servers I've seen on the Internet don't allow
such queries, and don't even reply to a polite "ntpq -p".

Cheers,
David