[ntp:questions] Local clock - sync issue

Wed Nov 10 04:14:28 UTC 2010

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> What "article" are you talking about?  If it was posted here,
>  could you tell me the date/time stamp on the message?

(Shrug)
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/msg/ac4e5ac7682ba4a7>
From: Stephen Vaughan <Stephen.Vaughan at blackboard.com>
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: Re: Local clock - sync issue
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 22:24:10 GMT
See Link: <http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15345.html>
<BlockQuote>
The solution is to make NTP more persistent when probing
  the remote time server.
 This is done by appending the flags burst and iburst to
  the remote server;
   burst tells NTP to send a burst of eight packets to the
   remote server instead of one when the server is reachable,
   and iburst tells it to do the same when the server is not
   reachable.
 The result is faster and more reliable synchronizations.
</BlockQuote>

Stephen Vaughan would likely benefit from "iburst";
 However if Stephen Vaughan turns on "burst",
  his NTP clients may be treated as a source of abuse.

  will be added to the BlackLists.