[ntp:questions] Local clock - sync issue

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Nov 10 23:01:50 UTC 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> The IP concept is based on addresses being constant.
>
> Really???

Yes, if you enter an IP address of a timeserver into the config, you are indicating that such timeserver is not going to move until you change the config again.  If you enter a DNS hostname into the config, it should be paying attention to the DNS TTL and periodically re-resolving it to see whether the A/CNAME record changed to a new IP (clamping the TTL to a sane range, perhaps, if needed).

> I get a new address, potentially, every time I boot.

That's perfectly OK as a client.  However, someone in a dynamic IP pool typically shouldn't be providing / advertising NTP services....

Regards,
--
-Chuck