[ntp:questions] Newbie question on the MD5 key of a public/remote NTP server.

Fri Nov 12 21:07:05 UTC 2010

David L. Mills wrote:
> As I said, NTP Autokey is designed to operate outside
>  the NAT perimeter.
> In principal, although I don't recommend it, it is
>  possible to use symmetric key cryptography transparently
>  with a NAT box.
> The policies on assignment and distribution of keys
>  depend on the agency.
> NIST has an experimental MD5 server with expectation
>  you pay a service fee for the key.
> I am told NRC (Canada) either plans or has in operation
>  a similar service.

<http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/auth-ntp.cfm>
NIST servers that support only authenticated NTP requests
 using the symmetric key encryption method.

<http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/upload/-Instructions-for-using-the-NIST-authenticated-Network-Time-Protocol-NTP-server.pdf>
Instructions for using the NIST authenticated Network Time
 Protocol (NTP) server. <http://tinyurl.com/279o65o>

<ustiming.org> / <certichron.com/products/SecureNTP.html>
Who appear to run a couple of the NIST servers,
 also appear to have key authentication as a service.

  will be added to the BlackLists.