[ntp:questions] help needed for ntpd multicast mode

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Nov 30 16:54:02 UTC 2010

Atul Gupta wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there any way to configure ntp client in multicast mode , where it
> doesn't send unicast requests to server ( currently my ntpd client is
> sending unicast requests in order to determine the network propagation
> delay between the server and client and then continue operation in
> multicast mode).?
> I am using ntpd client on a device where transmitting is discouraged.
> I am using following version of ntpd
> ntpd: ntpd 4.2.0a at 1:4.2.0a+stable-8-r Sat Mar 10 20:29:49 EST 2007 (1)

In pure broadcast or multicast mode the NTP client has no chance to
determine and thus compensate the netork delay. That's why a multicast
client initially sends a few unicast messages to the server to estimate the
propagation delay.

There is a "novolley" keyword which suppresses those unicast request.
However, this has been flagged as deprecated in current NTP versions, so
you should check the HTML documentation which comes with your specific NTP
version to see if it is supported by that version. File confopt.html.

Regards,

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki