[ntp:questions] help needed for ntpd multicast mode

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Nov 30 18:16:59 UTC 2010

On 2010-11-30, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:

> Atul Gupta wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to configure ntp client in multicast mode , where
>> it doesn't send unicast requests to server ( currently my ntpd
>> client is sending unicast requests in order to determine the network
>> propagation delay between the server and client and then continue
>> operation in multicast mode).? I am using ntpd client on a device
>> where transmitting is discouraged. I am using following version of
>> ntpd ntpd: ntpd 4.2.0a at 1:4.2.0a+stable-8-r Sat Mar 10 20:29:49 EST
>> 2007 (1)

Multicast association behavior for your release of NTP is described at
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.0/assoc.html#broad

> There is a "novolley" keyword which suppresses those unicast request.
> However, this has been flagged as deprecated in current NTP versions,
> so you should check the HTML documentation which comes with your
> specific NTP version to see if it is supported by that version.

Searching for "novolley" at http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.0/ returns no hits.

The first mention of "novolley" seems to be in 4.2.2 ... see:

http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.2/manyopt.html
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.2/confopt.html

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>