[ntp:questions] NTP Peer Keeps Swapping on Start-up

SteveW qsw000 at email.mot.com
Mon Oct 4 21:24:18 UTC 2010

On Oct 4, 11:57 am, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2010-10-04, Rob <nom... at example.com> wrote:
>
> > SteveW <qsw... at email.mot.com> wrote:
> >> I am seeing a case where one board in my system keeps switching its
> >> peer back and forth between its local clock and a remote ntp server
> >> for about 40 minutes when it first comes up.  Eventually, it correctly
> >> starts using the remote ntp server.
>
> > It is advisable to just remove this "local clock" from your config.
>
> Because the Undisciplined Local Clock (127.127.1.x) is not a "backup
> time source" for a leaf-node (i.e. a pure client ntpd).
>
> The Undisciplined Local Clock allows an ntpd which must serve time to
> others to always claim to be synced to something (even when it's really
> free-wheeling).
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

Guess I'm still not clear why it would be selecting this local clock
over the higher stratum server.  Is there a way to tell what it
doesn't like about the remote ntp server?

Also, just to clarify regarding the reach value, the snippet I showed
is right at start-up and it quickly goes to 377 for the remote ntp
server and remains there.

Thanks,
Steve