[ntp:questions] NTP Peer Keeps Swapping on Start-up

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Oct 4 21:40:57 UTC 2010

SteveW wrote:

> Also, just to clarify regarding the reach value, the snippet I showed
> is right at start-up and it quickly goes to 377 for the remote ntp
> server and remains there.

ntpq assoc, followed by ntpq rv for the association number.

Typically the problem is that the local clock has rather narrow error
bounds, and if the remote source disagrees, but also has narrow error
bounds, there is conflict as to which one has the true time.  If you
have a legitimate need for a local clock, you should make sure all your
local clocks can be outvoted by real clocks.