[ntp:questions] ntp orphan mode without manycast or multicast or broadcast ?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Oct 14 18:32:24 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-12, Miernik, Jerzy (Jerzy) <jerzy.miernik at alcatel-lucent.com>
wrote:

> Orphan Mode description related to NTP Version 4 Release Notes
> does not require either manycast or multicast or broadcast to be
> configured. Is it then possible to have ntpd get into orphan mode, in
> a mesh, with just unicasts?

The Documentation snap shot for each release of NTP may be found in the
./html directory of the distribution tarball.

Documentation for stable releases of NTP is archived at
http://doc.ntp.org/.

Documentation for the NTP Development tree is, as mentioned elsewhere
in this thread, linked from www.ntp.org; specifically the "Official NTP
Documentation" link on http://www.ntp.org/documentation.html (and also
at http://support.ntp.org/doc)

I searched our Documentation Archive for orphan+mode and the most
relevant results are:

http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6/assoc.html
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.2p4/manyopt.html
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/manyopt.html
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.2/manyopt.html

I did not find references to Orphan Mode in release documentation prior
to 4.2.2.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>