[ntp:questions] long linear network, time accuracy, and ntp strata

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 19 12:37:10 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-18, Miernik, Jerzy (Jerzy) <jerzy.miernik at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> I have a question about how to use ntp in a long linear network. Assume there are 50 nodes with the one most in the West having GPS, and every node running ntpd:
>   node1 --- node2 --- node3 --- ... --- node50
>   GPS

What does "long linear network" mean? Does it really mean that all
network traffic between node 1 and node 50 must pass through eachof the
other machines ( eg because all have two network cards and the only
connection from node i to i-1 is via one card and from i to i+1 is via
the other network card on machine i?)
If so, you will have a horribly slow network no matter what you do.

Almost always direct connection is more accurate-- the outbound and
inbound network times are measured for each packet. Not assumed.
But as said by others, you want each of those nodes requesting time
directly from node 1. ( also note that a chain of 50 machines each
asking time from the previous one exhauses the possible stratum numbers
and it will not work. )