[ntp:questions] long linear network, time accuracy, and ntp strata

Miernik, Jerzy (Jerzy) jerzy.miernik at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Oct 19 13:43:46 UTC 2010

Unruh and Terje, thank you for replying.

What if we complicated networking somewhat, such that at times node50 acquires GPS capability while node1 may looses it? Actually, to make the problem general, any one node (possibly only one) may have GPS and remain at an extremity of the network, where indeed the traffic between 'outer' nodes must be routed through all other 48 nodes forming a chain of 49 hops. So, sometimes node2 may have GPS too, like this:

Node2 --- node3 --- node1 --- node4 --- .... --- node49 --- node50
GPS

Or nodes node1, node2, node3, node4 have GPS in some kind of a 'normal' network of four, with a long tail (like in a kite) of 46 nodes attached to one of the four.

How best could we write ntp.conf, to synchronize time in such special networks?

Warm regards,
Jerzy.