[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 12:54:42 UTC 2010

I have a small network of Windows XP (64 bit) running simulations, with
NTPv4 running on all the boxes and using a GPS-based timeserver on the
company network.  The ping time to the server is 2 milliseconds from my
desk, but I'm seeing random time errors of order plus/minus 5 to 10
milliseconds, based on loopstats data.

This level of timesynch error is OK for the simulation, but still that's
a lot of error.  I get far better on big UNIX boxes.

The question is if this level of error is reasonable, given the setup.
I know that timekeeping under Windows is not optimum, but cannot change
the OS, so the question is if I have gotten things as good as they can
be, or should I dig deeper.  One thing that comes to mind is to raise
the priority of the NTP daemon to exceed that of the simulation software.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Gwinn