[ntp:questions] long linear network, time accuracy, and ntp strata

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 20 15:04:13 UTC 2010

On 2010-10-19, Miernik, Jerzy (Jerzy) <jerzy.miernik at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> Unruh and Terje, thank you for replying.
>
> What if we complicated networking somewhat, such that at times node50 acquires GPS capability while node1 may looses it? Actually, to make the problem general, any one node (possibly only one) may have GPS and remain at an extremity of the network, where indeed the traffic between 'outer' nodes must be routed through all other 48 nodes forming a chain of 49 hops. So, sometimes node2 may have GPS too, like this:
>
> Node2 --- node3 --- node1 --- node4 --- .... --- node49 --- node50
> GPS
>
> Or nodes node1, node2, node3, node4 have GPS in some kind of a 'normal' network of four, with a long tail (like in a kite) of 46 nodes attached to one of the four.

That is I am afraid a terrible routing model. You will never get good
timing from it. GPS or no GPS. "I want to drive from New Yourk to San
Francisco as quicly as possible, but my car has one wheel locked by a
police boot, and the somebody put water into my gas tank. How can I get
from New York to SF?"
You do not and you cannot get good timing with your routing model.
And if your servers keep popping in and out of existence, it is even
worse. Is this some homework assignment?