[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed Oct 20 17:16:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:54 UTC, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a small network of Windows XP (64 bit) running simulations, with
> NTPv4 running on all the boxes and using a GPS-based timeserver on the
> company network.
[...]
> The question is if this level of error is reasonable, given the setup.

It may be the (64 bit) qualifier is key.  I know 32-bit ntpd runs on
x64 Windows, but I have no experience to know how it compares to
running on 32-bit Windows.  I wouldn't expect much of a difference,
and perhaps others can share their experience with ntpd on 64-bit
Windows.

On 32-bit Windows, my experiences have been very similar to David
Taylor's.  I would expect sub-millisecond jitter relative to your GPS
source 2ms away, if care has been taken (such as disabling interrupt
coalescing on gigabit ethernet cards).

Good luck,
Dave Hart