[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on WinXP?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Oct 21 06:53:14 UTC 2010

"Dave Hart" <hart at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:AANLkTim62cnx2aT=n9s8FQJqe0+-qahSr00HAmxNpbA3 at mail.gmail.com...
[]
> It may be the (64 bit) qualifier is key.  I know 32-bit ntpd runs on
> x64 Windows, but I have no experience to know how it compares to
> running on 32-bit Windows.  I wouldn't expect much of a difference,
> and perhaps others can share their experience with ntpd on 64-bit
> Windows.
[]
> Good luck,
> Dave Hart

My PC Hydra runs 64-bit Windows-7:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

Unortunately, I don't have the comparative data when it was running 32-bit
Windows-7, and the only comparable 32-bit Windows-7 PC I have (Stamsund)
is GPS-synched, rather than LAN-synched.

As reported many times before, but never resolved, there's one version of
NTP 4.2.4 which seems to work better on Vista and Windows-7 systems than
4.2.5 and later NTP versions.  PC Hydra is running that version:
  ntpd 4.2.4p6 at DLH-QPC-o May 30 3:58:32.88 (UTC) 2009 (273)

With the configuration I have (32 seconds maximum poll), the RMS offset is
about 0.5ms, and the averaged jitter is just under 1 millisecond (the
native clock resolution).

Cheers,
David