[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Thu Oct 21 12:56:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 07:05 UTC, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> I never said iburst was an issue, just that the systems will need to be on
> for several hours before best accuracy is achieved.  It's a pity that NTP
> doesn't have a faster initial convergence.

4.2.7p52, p53, and p54 each had initial convergence improvements from
Dr. Mills.  I encourage you to play with 4.2.7p54 or later and see for
yourself.  ntpd now eliminates the majority of the startup offset in 5
minutes (with a drift file) or 10 minutes (without).  During the
startup period, the frequency adjustment used to slew away the startup
offset is not retained, so there should be little "ringing".

Cheers,
Dave Hart