[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Thu Oct 21 14:02:34 UTC 2010

On Oct 20, 10:34 pm, Joseph Gwinn <joegw... at comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <i9mqek$tr... at news.eternal-september.org>,
>  "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> > In my experience, changing the priority of NTP doesn't help a lot, but
> > most of my PCs are not CPU-bound.  But I have given the account the rights
> > to do that.
>
> My experience is the same. for average behaviour.  But for use in
> realtime, running the daemon at high realtime priority greatly reduces
> the tails of the probability distribution of response times and/or clock
> offsets.

Indeed, since Windows allows a process to be starved from running,
depending on the load, a higher priority process may block NTP from
running.  Therefore, although raising the priority for NTP doesn't
mean that it cannot be starved, it does decrease the likelihood of
that happening.

Linux, on the other hand, favors fair process scheduling and strives
to not starve any from running at least for a little while.

HTH