[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on WinXP?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Oct 21 14:55:42 UTC 2010

> 4.2.7p52, p53, and p54 each had initial convergence improvements from
> Dr. Mills.  I encourage you to play with 4.2.7p54 or later and see for
> yourself.  ntpd now eliminates the majority of the startup offset in 5
> minutes (with a drift file) or 10 minutes (without).  During the
> startup period, the frequency adjustment used to slew away the startup
> offset is not retained, so there should be little "ringing".
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Dave,

Even though I try to follow NTP closely, I had missed the improvements in
initial convergence.  I have installed 4.2.7p58 in my main PC Narvik, and
just rebooted it.  It will be interesting to watch the new few minutes and
hours for the initial drift and then the longer term performance.  This
under Windows XP, and LAN-synched.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/narvik_ntp-b.html

I also installed that version on a Windows-7 64-bit system - PC Hydra - to
see whether it behaved in the 4.2.4 or 4.2.5 mode.  4.2.4 has been a
better performer in tests here on Vista and Windows-7.  PC Hydra was not
rebooted.  I will be watching just the width of the offset graph, i.e. the
amount of jitter.  This PC is also LAN-synched.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/hydra_ntp-b.html

Thanks for that pointer.

Cheers,
David