[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 02:37:54 UTC 2010

In article <i9pkif$atu$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
 "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> "Evandro Menezes" <evandro at mailinator.com> wrote in message
> news:a376dc23-cb31-441c-9b35-b10a9758c026 at a36g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> []
> > Indeed, since Windows allows a process to be starved from running,
> > depending on the load, a higher priority process may block NTP from
> > running.  Therefore, although raising the priority for NTP doesn't
> > mean that it cannot be starved, it does decrease the likelihood of
> > that happening.
> >
> > Linux, on the other hand, favors fair process scheduling and strives
> > to not starve any from running at least for a little while.
> >
> > HTH
>
> Windows can run NTP at real-time priority, if you give the NTP user that
> right.  Normal user processes will not then pre-empt NTP.

We are trying this, but given that the error level and pattern showed no
diurnal variation, I don't really expect changing priority to help.  The
simulations are run only during the day, so one would expect a diurnal
variation if CPU load were the issue.

We are also verifying the the Intel power-saving feature, which slows
the CPU clock et al, is disabled.

Joe Gwinn