[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on WinXP?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Oct 22 05:18:08 UTC 2010

"Dave Hart" <hart at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:AANLkTik573dg1o5+rqZgYYXi3-9KjnAutAwgCoLfqCxC at mail.gmail.com...
[]
> 4.2.7p52, p53, and p54 each had initial convergence improvements from
> Dr. Mills.  I encourage you to play with 4.2.7p54 or later and see for
> yourself.  ntpd now eliminates the majority of the startup offset in 5
> minutes (with a drift file) or 10 minutes (without).  During the
> startup period, the frequency adjustment used to slew away the startup
> offset is not retained, so there should be little "ringing".
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Thanks for that.  Judging by:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

it seems to me that the convergence is no better on PC Narvik (4.2.7p58)
than on PC Bacchus (4.2.6p2).  I'm running with exactly the same
parameters as the earlier version having simply replaced all the
binaries - are any new settings required for the new version?

PC Hydra is also running 4.2.7p58 and needed to be rebooted yesterday, and
the transient seems to me little different to PC Bacchus.  However, the
variation in offset is much worse than your 4.2.4p6 (273) which is about
the only version I'm happy with for Vista or Windows-7.

Cheers,
David