[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Fri Oct 22 19:01:53 UTC 2010

On Oct 22, 10:23 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
tay... at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> That could explain why I see higher NTP jitter on a Windows system running
> a USB network source (digital video data stream) than receiving a similar
> data stream on a PCI card under either Windows XP or Windows-7.

Possibly, but USB, as a polled, token-ring like protocol, will always
add jitters in this case.

> Having said that, anyone with such time-critical requirements will want to
> stop all non-essential and any unpredictable processes such as anti-virus
> or system updates and virus scans.  On Windows-7 that can be quite a
> challenge compared to Windows XP.

If one would stop all unpredictable processes in Windows one would
have to stop Windows.  Can one stop network and disk I/O in Windows?
IMHO, if one wants a good, consistent NTP server, it should at least
be Linux.

HTH