[ntp:questions] What level of timesynch error is typical on Win XP?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Oct 22 19:43:01 UTC 2010

"Evandro Menezes" <evandro at mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:f13f950a-3168-4a11-ba09-f4d225e7b6b1 at t13g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> On Oct 22, 10:23 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
> tay... at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> That could explain why I see higher NTP jitter on a Windows system
>> running
>> a USB network source (digital video data stream) than receiving a
>> similar
>> data stream on a PCI card under either Windows XP or Windows-7.
>
> Possibly, but USB, as a polled, token-ring like protocol, will always
> add jitters in this case.

Thanks.  I don't understand enough about USB - do you have good reference?

> If one would stop all unpredictable processes in Windows one would
> have to stop Windows.  Can one stop network and disk I/O in Windows?
> IMHO, if one wants a good, consistent NTP server, it should at least
> be Linux.
>
> HTH

Well, it may help the person who needs to run simulation software which is
Windows-based, in that if timekeeping is very important to them, it
suggests running Windows on a virtual machine running under an accurate
FreeBSD host.  I wonder whether that would provide any greater accuracy
than native Windows NTP?  My gut feeling is "obviously not", but I wonder
whether tests have been done....

Cheers,
David