[ntp:questions] systems won't synchronize no matter what

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Oct 28 22:47:48 UTC 2010

On 10/28/2010 03:11 AM, unruh wrote:

> The problem is really that people throw lines into their config file
> which have no idea whatsoever what they do. (This is even true of
> distribution maintainers).

I'm pretty sure I know why.

Please don't take this the wrong way, especially after all the great
help I was given, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but to the
unsuspecting outsider the ntp documentation is terribly wordy and... I
don't know... unfocused maybe? I started browsing the ntp.org site and
my eyes glazed over rather quickly.

I had much better luck with the ntp documentation that comes with FreeBSD:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ntp.conf&sektion=5

Maybe that *is* part of the official ntp documentation, but even so it
was much easier to find the relevant parts on freebsd.org (and I'm a
Linux user who wouldn't normally go to that site).

Combine that sort of concise info with a few simple, no-nonsense
examples and that should be enough for 99% of users. I'm a sysadmin,
this is just one fire to put out among a dozen others, just tell me
where to begin and I'll build upon that.

You guys need to more clearly separate the basic stuff from the advanced
but rarely used topics.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/