[ntp:questions] systems won't synchronize no matter what

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 16:18:22 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 5:37 AM, David J Taylor wrote:

> "David Lord" <snews at lordynet.org> wrote in message
> news:kmbqp7-l38.ln1 at p4x2400c.home.lordynet.org...
> []
> []
>> In ntp distributions here (4.2.4p2 and 4.2.6p2 at least) there
>> is a directory 'conf' with some ntp.conf examples.
>>

>> David
>
> Indeed, but I was simply suggesting that in a document dealing with
> ntp.conf, the presence of a simple working example of the file would be
> a useful addition rendering it more complete, and would avoid the need
> to search for and open multiple documents. This would be particularly
> helpful to those for whom administering NTP, or even doing any system
> administration, is but part of their job.

The trouble with a "working example file" is that too many people will
simply copy it.  The likely result would be to overload every server
named in the example file.  Also, the server in New York City is not
going to be a great source for a System in Los Angeles.

It's safer to provide the format using "fictional" servers.  This will
require a little thought on the part of the user.  If said user is not
capable of thought it's better not to have him using any servers!