[ntp:questions] systems won't synchronize no matter what

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Oct 29 20:55:44 UTC 2010

> From: "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:58:31 +0100
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:X4adnYdyYI-4llbRnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d at giganews.com...
> []
> > Are you talking about *thinking human* installers or installation
> > scripts?
> >
> > A script that could ask the user "What country are you in?" and then for
> > state or province could make a better than random selection of servers.
> > A "thinking human" could probably do a LOT better.
>
> I am talking about a few lines as an example of a simple ntp.conf file, in
> a document, to render the document more complete.
>
> As you say, the installers can (and do) know about country.

This is a FreeBSD documentation and FreeBSD comes with a pretty good
default ntp.conf, much like several of you have suggested.

You can find it
at:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/ntp.conf?rev=1.2.2.1.4.1;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup

It has mostly comments with just a set of 3 (yeah, I know) pool systems.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)