[ntp:questions] systems won't synchronize no matter what

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Oct 30 06:30:20 UTC 2010

> This is a FreeBSD documentation and FreeBSD comes with a pretty good
> default ntp.conf, much like several of you have suggested.
>
> You can find it
> at:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/ntp.conf?rev=1.2.2.1.4.1;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup
>
> It has mostly comments with just a set of 3 (yeah, I know) pool systems.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer

Kevin,

Yes, I must have edited a file like that when I set up my own FreeBSD
system.  I would take issue with:

- no drift file appears to be specified (although it is mentioned) - I
had:

  driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift

- why add  maxpoll 9 to all the servers?  That seems wrong.  I see the
note: "The option `maxpoll 9' is used to prevent PLL/FLL flipping on
FreeBSD.".  So is that a FreeBSD specific issue, and if so, why not fix it
in the OS?

Cheers,
David