[ntp:questions] Allan deviation survey

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Sep 10 22:10:08 UTC 2010

Bill,

All my measurements were in temperature-controlled environments, such as
a campus lab or home office, and the data were collected over one week.
The temperature varied less than a degree C. However, I have data from
Poul-Henning Kamp for a similar experiment done in summertime Denmark
where the environment was not controlled. As expected it looked
something less than shown by the graph attached to my previous message.
The Allan characteristic tends to fizzle out at lags greater than about
one-fourth the span of the measurements. Thus, if you collect samples
for only one day the maximum lag could not be more than a few hours and
the diurnal effects would not be apparent.

A previous message implied that, once the Allan characteristic was
determined, it would show chrony to be better than ntpd. Be advised the
default time constant (at 64 s poll interval) was specifically chosen to
match trace 1 on the graph mentioned above. In other words, it is in
fact optimum for that characteristic and chrony can do no better.

Having said that, modern machines are faster and with less phase noise,
although with the same rotten clock oscillator. Thus, I would expect a
modern machine to behave something like trace 3 on my plot, where the
intercept is more like 200 s than 2000 s. From anecdotal evidence, 16 s
is about right, but 8 s is too vulnerable to jitter in the Ethernet NICs
and switches. NIC jitter can vary widely, even using the same Ethernet
chip, specifically the PCNET chips that do scatter-gather on-fly and
coalesce interrupts. I have measured jitter components from 150 ns with
a i386 running FreeBSD  to over 1 ms with a Sun Ultra running Solaris
10. So, any performance comparisons must take these differences in account.

Dave