[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Sep 16 15:03:18 UTC 2010

Daniel Havey wrote:
> When I run sudo /etc/init.d/ntpd restart
> It wipes out my server lines and puts in one of it's own ;^)

I know there are Linux distributions where you have to specify your upstream
NTP servers using a config tool, and the /etc/init.d/ntpd script generates
the ntp.conf file from a template and the config options you have
specified.

There is also a chance your DHCP client has been configured to query the IP
addresses of NTP servers via DHCP from the DHCP server on your network, in
which case the ntp.conf file is rewritten to use the servers IPs received
via DHCP.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki