[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

Daniel Havey dhavey at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 17:39:26 UTC 2010

Well you are right.  The init.d script does something that rewrites the ntp.conf file.  I don't understand enough bash to figure it out so I just started ntp manually.  It doesn't change the ntp.conf ;^)

But it doesn't work properly either ;^(
First of all this looks fishy:
[dhavey at node0 /etc]$ ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 cogsworth.aero. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
 dns.aero.org    .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

Those delay, offset, and jitter values are too good to be true and the other machine won't connect:
[dhavey at node1 ~]$ sudo ntpdate node0.rms01.wgs.sntb.aero.org
16 Sep 10:24:03 ntpdate[25389]: no server suitable for synchronization found

Hmmm...