[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu Sep 16 18:05:20 UTC 2010

Daniel Havey <dhavey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well you are right.  The init.d script does something that rewrites the ntp.conf file.  I don't understand enough bash to figure it out so I just started ntp manually.  It doesn't change the ntp.conf ;^)
>
> But it doesn't work properly either ;^(
> First of all this looks fishy:
> [dhavey at node0 /etc]$ ntpq -p
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
>  cogsworth.aero. .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
>  dns.aero.org    .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
>
> Those delay, offset, and jitter values are too good to be true and the other machine won't connect:
> [dhavey at node1 ~]$ sudo ntpdate node0.rms01.wgs.sntb.aero.org
> 16 Sep 10:24:03 ntpdate[25389]: no server suitable for synchronization found
>
> Hmmm...

There is probably a firewall running that blocks all your NTP traffic.

Such an automatically managed system is nice, but when you don't understand
it is is more of a hindrance.

There probably is some checkmark somewhere that tells the system to open
up the firewall for NTP traffic and then the startup script for the firewall
will write a config file just as it did for ntp, containing an allow entry
for UDP port 123.

Now you only need to find where it is.