[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

Daniel Havey dhavey at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 21:59:34 UTC 2010

I want ntpdate, and don't really care about ntpd.  I need an ntp server running on one node, and the other nodes connect to the first node with ntpdate like this:

#!/bin/bash
SERVER=ntpserver1
RATE=5
while [ 1 ];
do
ntpdate -b $SERVER
ntpdate -b $SERVER
ntpdate -b $SERVER
sleep $RATE
done

So I think what I would like to do is install an NTP server on one node, verify that it works ;^) and have the others keep in synch with the script.

There are no firewalls between the nodes.  There is a firewall to the outside world but that is not in my control.