[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

Daniel Havey dhavey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 01:12:01 UTC 2010

Thanxs Chuck ;^)

But why would I want this script to point to someone else's ntp server?  You have missed the point.  I want accurate time synchronization.  I don't care about accurate time.  Pointing to someone else's server would only introduce jitter between my machines because of random lag times.  Which is at least as senseless as running ntpdate 3 times in a row ;^)

Speaking of which, as for running ntpdate 3 times in a row being a waste of time, perhaps, and perhaps not.  The script was recommended by the manufacturer.  I think you may be right, it might be better to run ntpdate every second, instead of 3 times in a row ever 5 seconds ;^)

Do you think that the ntpd would keep the machines in better synch than the ntpdate script?  I would have to see this for myself...