[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Sat Sep 18 00:33:38 UTC 2010

Daniel Havey writes:
> ...but latency?  On my control plane?  No way ;^) That lan is soooo
> lightly loaded that any packet can get sent anywhere it wants at any
> time on Gigabit ethernet.

With Gigabit you may get erratic latency due to buffering and interrupt
coalescing.

> That might be a little extreme, we don't have a PPS source, or roof
> access for a GPS receiver.

Since all you want is synchronization among your machines your PPS could
free run.  You should be able to build one.  It's trivial: just a stable
one Hertz pulse generator.

> If we can get down to a millisecond then we are golden.

Then you don't need a PPS source.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com