[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Sep 18 08:15:26 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Daniel Havey" <dhavey at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> []
>> So, you think that a PC clock will drift 20-50ms in 5 seconds?  Seems
>> like a lot, but whatever.  Let me see if I've got this right, you tell
>> me I might get say synchronization of ~10ms with ntpd running on a lan
>> with everybody on the same switch or perhaps one switch away?
>
> You can see some PC performance plots running NTP here:
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

The offsets on that graph are the sorts of value you would get using
ntpdate, although ntpdate will be worse, as its pre-filter is done over
a very short time, so will be more likely to be sensitive to time
corellated errors.

The actual time for ntpd should be considerably more accurate.

The problem with ntpdate is it will believe every offset, whereas ntpd
smooths them out.