[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Sep 18 08:54:06 UTC 2010

> The offsets on that graph are the sorts of value you would get using
> ntpdate, although ntpdate will be worse, as its pre-filter is done over
> a very short time, so will be more likely to be sensitive to time
> corellated errors.
>
> The actual time for ntpd should be considerably more accurate.
>
> The problem with ntpdate is it will believe every offset, whereas ntpd
> smooths them out.

David,

Please check the scales.  I very much doubt that ntpdate would achieve the
5-10 microsecond accuracy shown by PC Pixie:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/pixie_ntp.html

Those PC are all running NTP, not ntpdate.  The PCs running Windows do not
achieve the same accuracy as the one running FreeBSD, of course, but with
one exception are within about one millisecond, even when running over
wireless (oh, and except PC Narvik which has just been rebooted)..

Cheers,
David