[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Sep 18 17:45:07 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:

> Puffin is a Windows Vista PC, running over a WiFi link, hanging off a
> WRT54GL running DD-WRT.  The reference server Pixie connects directly to
> that same router.  I still doubt that ntpdate would do better.

I think you miss the point.  ntpd does better because the disciplined
clock time is about an order of magnitude more accurate than the spread
of offsets, whereas the ntpdate time jumps around with the same order of
magnitude as the offsets.  There is no way of measuring the true ntpd
time keeping error using just ntpd, because any part of it that could be
measured should be being removed by the time discipline daemon.

Your graphs are not graphs of the ntpd disciplined clock errors, but
rather they are graphs of the sample errors.