[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Wed Sep 22 06:16:50 UTC 2010

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> It not only LOOKS too good to be true, it IS to good to be true!
>
> NTPD has not yet been able to contact either cogsworth.aero or
> dns.aero.org.

Pay attention at the back.  This has already been explained.

> Also, you appear to have forced the poll interval to 1024 seconds.  1024
> is really great when your clock is within a few microseconds of the

I have a feeling that ntpd does this if there is an extended outage.

> Finally, two servers are not sufficient to allow NTPD to do its best.

It has already been made clear that the requirement here is close lock
to a single local server which has to be working for the system to be
valid at all.  This is not trying to obtain accurate true time from
unreliable secondary sources.

He's been given bad advice about nptdate, but you still have to read the
actual situation and respond accordingly.