[ntp:questions] Why does ntp keep changing my conf file?

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Thu Sep 23 12:36:43 UTC 2010

Daniel Havey writes:
> This is an emulab like testbed.  We bring nodes into experiments, wipe
> them out, re-configure, and reboot frequently.  Even 10 minutes, would
> be extremely annoying.  So if I reboot my nodes 6 times in a day then
> I must spend an hour waiting for ntpd to do it's voodoo?

Your machines should be setting their hardware clocks from the system
clock at shutdown and then setting their system clocks from the hardware
clock at boot.  Unless your hardware clocks are remarkably bad or you
are leaving the machines down for a long time the system clocks should
be very close to correct after booting and Chrony should lock in very
quickly.  If you lack hardware clocks or need even faster response I
suggest that you customize Chrony or Ntpd.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com
Dancing Horse Hill