[ntp:questions] Garmin GPS18x - Jitter and adev lab measurements

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Sep 23 22:04:25 UTC 2010

Kasper Pedersen wrote:
> (Initially posted to LinuxPPS. Dave Hart suggested some denizens of
> questions@ may be interested too.)

Actually, this is news:comp.protocols.time.ntp, questions@ is just a
gateway.

> These are measurements on a Garmin GPS18x sitting indoors, the PPS fed
> to a 0.6ns resolution timer/counter.
>
> a bit behind, and needs to make an adjustment.
>
> If you see more than 67ns jitter, it is not the GPS' fault.

The specified time transfer accuracy of GPS is about 50ns; I suspect
that may allow for some averaging.  If you have a 67ns quantisation
error, you will also have an additional error due to time transfer
limitations.

> (For those not used to adev plots: A GPS has poor short term stability,
> but good long term stability, and this produces a downward slope. A

GPS systems need to know the time to a very high resolution to work at
all.  I think you are referring to either the stability of the PPS
output, or to the fact that the absolute error is fairly constant, but
the error relative to the measurement timebase is obviously lower for a
longer timebase.

> I have measured it to be 60ns+/-100ns slow relative to UTC.

UTC isn't actually available in real time, although I suspect those
numbers are still large enough for a real time approximation to be
defined.  To get the actual UTC time you need to compare various
national standards after the fact and calculate the difference between
them and UTC.