[ntp:questions] Test ntpd performance

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Sep 25 15:55:36 UTC 2010

On Sep 24, 2010, at 11:23 AM, R C wrote:
> I want to test the performance of the ntpd server. Are there any free/open
> source ntp clients that measure the server scalability? Thanks in advance for
> your help.

The ntpd sources come with ntpdate; use "ntpdate -q" in a shell script loop to issue many queries without changing the clock.  Anyway, even on old Pentium-grade hardware and 100Mbs ethernet, you should be able to do thousands to tens of thousands of NTP packets per second.  The bottleneck almost invariably will your upstream network connection, either in terms of bandwidth or in terms of a firewall/NAT box trying to keep state.

Regards,
--
-Chuck