[ntp:questions] Test ntpd performance

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun Sep 26 16:06:42 UTC 2010

R C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> My main intension of this scalability testing is to find out
>
> 1. how long it takes for the ntpd server to serve 100,000 clients.

Why would they all try to hit it at the same time?

However, if they did, the timing is likely to be dominated by ethernet
collision back-offs. which will not be well simulated by a single test
source.  Also the roundtrip time will be poor if they all hit at once.

> 2. What is the rate at which the server can process client requets

Almost certainly, the rate at which the network can deliver them.